> I’m using Bacula in an all-disk based environment, using a disk based
> autochanger script.  I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a magic recipe
> for dealing with the compression issues that are inherent with this type of
> strategy..
>

> What I’m talking about mostly is that bacula-fd performance with software
> compression on is pretty slow, which I think I’ve read can be attributed to
> the single threaded compression algorithm that is being used.. I would much
> rather stream the data from the hosts uncompressed and then compress it once
> it reaches the SD, since my backup server tends to be fairly beefy compared
> to many of my hosts..
>

> What have other people done to combat this issue?  Is it worth my time
> investigating some of the virtual tape library software out there for Linux,
> which presumably implements reasonable compression on the virtual tape lib
> side?  Or are people perhaps using a transparent compression filesystem with
> good results?
>

> Just trying to get a feel for what people have found works.. need to reduce
> the window to backup each host (i.e. up the throughput from the 2-3MB/sec
> I’m getting) but don’t want to sacrifice the space of doing completely
> without compression J

I was thinking on doing this on the filesystem level and lazy when the
server was not busy. I would like to see in linux what has been
available for 10+ years with ntfs the ability to turn on compression
on a per file basis at any time. There are several options for doing
filesystem compression under linux but most of these are experimental.
I have not spent much more thought about this because I mainly use
tape for backup at work. At home I do use disk but that happens at 3AM
and hopefully I am not still using the machine at that time..

John