Hi John,

turns out we're cheating.

mysql -u bacula -p${BACULAMYSQLPW} -e "DELETE FROM Client WHERE
Name='${FDHOSTNAME}';" bacula
dbcheck -b -f -y -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf

So we're just deleting the client, and then let bacula get the database
back into a consistent state.

Depending on your load and requirements that might not be feasible for
you, of course.

Kind regards,
Rolf Halmen

On 16.01.2018 17:47, John Naggets wrote:
> Hi Rolf,
>
> So if I understand correctly, there is no "standard" procedure or any
> documentation how to properly remove a client once it is not needed
> anymore (e.g. when decomissioning a server)?
>
> If not I would be interested to see your SQL query which you use for
> that purpose.
>
> Indeed I use the "use volume once = true" parameter so that each
> volume contains only one single backup from a client.
>
> Best regards,
> J.
>
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Rolf Halmen
> <rolf.hal...@neubert-consulting.de> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> The database can correlate jobs to volume files.
>> I'm not at a workstation right now, but off the top of my head, I'd assume
>> joining the jobs, media, and clients tables should let you get to the list
>> of volumes that contain backup-data of the specified client.
>>
>> Do keep in mind that volume files can contain data from multiple jobs,
>> unless "use volume once = true".
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Rolf
>>
>> On January 15, 2018 2:10:00 PM UTC, John Naggets <hostingnugg...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It happens that some clients on the network get removed and as such do
>>> not need to be backed up anymore. Now I would like to know what is the
>>> procedure on the bacula director in order to remove properly and
>>> entirely a bacula client?
>>>
>>> I checked the official documentation but could not find any procedure
>>> for that purpose.
>>>
>>> From my understanding I need to delete the jobs and files associated
>>> with them as well as the volumes and finally the physical volumes on
>>> the filesystem (backups are done on files on a partition of the backup
>>> server).
>>>
>>> My problem here is that the physical volumes on the filesystem all
>>> have the same label except for the number so how would I know which
>>> file I can delete?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> John

>> --

Rolf Michael Halmen
Softwareentwickler

Neubert Consulting GmbH, IT Consulting & Services

Theaterstr. 33
D-90762 Fuerth

Tel:   +49 (0911) 972799 - 54
Fax:   +49 (0911) 972799 - 33

Mail   rolf.hal...@neubert-consulting.de
Web   www.neubert-consulting.de

Geschäftsführer Christoph Neubert Registergericht Fürth HRB 10620