Replying to my own last post...

OK, emerging bacula-9.4.2 on Gentoo gets past compiling everything in the 'console' directory tree:

----8<----

[...snip compiling output of the console sources...]

==== Make of console is good ====
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/bacula-9.4.2/work/bacula-9.4.2/src/console'

However, using the same ./configure command line as the Gentoo ebuild does, but in the vanilla bacula-9.2.4 source tree on the same Gentoo server still fails compiling in the console section.

I have to assume one of the Gentoo-specific patches applied at the beginning of the emerge process, and before ./configure is run "fixes" this.

This is quite interesting to me because this is the first time in more than 10 years I have ever had any problem compiling Bacula from source. :)

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski