On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Alan Brown <a.br...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 21/10/2019 15:14, Clark, Patti via Bacula-users wrote:
> > Try the hardware compatibility list for the card on Redhat's website.
> > Second choice, the manufacturer's website.  The issue is the driver.
> >
> > My question (rhetorical), why do you want to use an OS that is recently
> > released and still bleeding for a backup server?  I understand upgrade
> > headaches, but backup servers need to be rock solid.
>

> Rhel8 isn't the issue. Dell PERC controllers ARE.
>

> https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-perc-h710p-spec-sheet.pdf
>

> This is a MPTSAS raid card, not a HBA. It will _probably_ work OK for
> you if it's detecting the tape drive and tape library but experience
> shows they work better in full HBA mode.
>

> > Patti Clark
> > Sr. Linux System Administrator
> > Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> >
> > On 10/18/19, 8:28 PM, "William Muriithi" <will...@perasotech.com> wrote:
> >
> >      Hello,
> >
> >      Have any of you deployed RHEL 8/Centos 8 and would be willing to share
> > what HBA card they are using?
> >
> >      Anyway, attempting to purchase HBA card and looking for a way to
> > figure out what will work without having access to the tape library. Lets
> > say that you don't have access to the tape device, but you have a server
> > that have RHEL 8 installed.  You plug in a SAS HBA card in the slot and
> > bring it up and them on the console, you want to check if the card is
> > supported by the operating system.
> >
> >      What would one check?   This is what I have done and not viable test
> > without the storage system:
> >
> >      [root@eng-backup02 ~]# lsscsi -g
> >      [0:2:0:0]    disk    DELL     PERC H710P       3.13  /dev/sda
> > /dev/sg0
> >      [0:2:1:0]    disk    DELL     PERC H710P       3.13  /dev/sdb
> > /dev/sg1
> >      [1:0:2:0]    tape    IBM      ULTRIUM-HH6      E4J1  /dev/st0
> > /dev/sg2
> >      [1:0:2:1]    mediumx QUANTUM  UHDL             0091  /dev/sch0
> > /dev/sg3
> >
> >      The /dev/sg2 and /dev/sg3 only show up with the tape library attached.
> >   If I de-attach the tape, but leave the HBA card on the system, the device
> > disappears.
> >
> >      I have also attempted this:
> >
> >      lspci -nn
> >
> >      The problem with this is even a HBA card that I know will not work
> > when I attach the tape library is detected by the operating system and will
> > be listed on lspci result.  So I can't ask someone remote to use that to
> > separate supported to unsupported.
> >
> >      So what else can one do the achieve this objective?
> >
> >      Regards,
> >      William

There appars to be some conflation of lsscsi and lspci here

lsscsi will show attached SCSI targets

From the lsscsi -g output, it is showing two arrays, a tape drive, and
a library changer, when the library is removed, it is expected that
both the tape drive and the library will no longer show.

To see if the HBA is detected, lspci is the command to run.

The lspci command cannot tell you if a card will or will not work with
a tape library, only if the card is detected, and what driver it is
using. lspci -v might be more useful than -nn

Any SAS HBA (as apposed to a RAID controller) _should_ work with any
SAS Tape Library.

Cheers

Arne