On 10/21/19 6:00 PM, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 21/10/2019 16:13, Dimitri Maziuk via Bacula-users wrote:
>> On 10/21/2019 9:14 AM, Clark, Patti via Bacula-users wrote:
>>> My question (rhetorical), why do you want to use an OS that is
>>> recently released and still bleeding for a backup server?  I
>>> understand upgrade headaches, but backup servers need to be rock solid.
>> Why use any RHEL > 6 for any kind of server?
>>
> Because RHEL6 is EOL and won't even install on newer hardware?
>
> (EOS is some time off, but it's on life support mode now - bug/security
> fixes only and one of the more annoying "features" is that RHEL6 doesn't
> support ECN properly - it has ECN but not ECN fallback, so it can hammer
> the living daylights out of routers. In addition it's quite difficult to
> fully secure a php-using webserver on RHEL6 using stock RPMs)
>

> As for "Why use RHEL?" - Corporate policy. The scientific Linux
> community standardised on redhat 20 years ago and they're unlikely to
> change anytime soon despite arguments about other flavours being
> "better" (Most of them are still using Fortran code rooted in f77 which
> breaks if you attempt to update it, or IDL despite it being "simply awful")
>

> I spend an awful lot of time making things work in a RHEL environment
> when it "just works" in Debianish ones, but the choice of environment
> isn't my call.
>
> Everything has its positives and negatives - as Kern knows, I _really_
> want Bacula to support the IBM lin_tape driver because it works far
> better with LTOs and changers - particularly in FC/SAS multipath
> environments but Baculasystems won't do that because the st driver works
> just fine(*) and the RHEL vs Debian arguments work in much the same way.

My comments for the above paragraph:

Yes, a lot of decisions in Bacula and elsewhere are tradeoffs.  In the
case of the IBM lin_tape driver, I am sure that what you write about it
being better is correct.  However there needs to be a technical person
familiar with Bacula to implement it, and that person needs access to
such a tape setup (probably onsite).  I am past the time when I am
available to develop major new "tricky" technology, so this would leave
either a community submission, or Bacula Systems to implement it.  It is
quite possible that Bacula Systems would implement this feature if it
turns out to be something that a number (3 or more) of important
customers want -- i.e. it is mainly a cost/benefit question for them.

Best regards,

Kern