Hi Clark,

> Try the hardware compatibility list for the card on Redhat's website.  Second
> choice, the manufacturer's website.  The issue is the driver.

Ya, its definitely driver issue.  I had checked RedHat hardware compatibility
list but it only list servers, not PCI cards.  Essentially, it doesn't list a
single HBA card.

> My question (rhetorical), why do you want to use an OS that is recently
> released and still bleeding for a backup server?  I understand upgrade
> headaches, but backup servers need to be rock solid.

Precisely, I know Centos 7 will be supported for a long time, but I also use
this server to keep rsync backups so that user can recover their files easily
without having to wait to a potentially off site tapes.

The hot data sit on a Virtual Data Optimizer device.  It does a great job,
compressing and de-duplicating 84TB data into  21TB.  However, Virtual Data
Optimizer has a bug that I experienced once and its not going to be fixed on
RHEL 7.  When the physical device fill up before the logical device is full,
you loose your data.  That make one be too conservative on RHEL 7, but its fine
on RHEL 8, hence why I am adopting it early.

Regards,
William