On 2021-12-28 11:20, Graham Dicker wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 09:31:46 GMT Josip Deanovic wrote:
Could you please send the output of this command:
ps auxww | grep -i mysql

Yes of course - see below. But the mariadb service actually starts on boot. akonadi doesn't start at all until I run KMail, at which point it presumably connects to the already running mariadb/mysqldb. I have to do that because I need to have Bacula running long before I get out of bed and use KMail ;-).

Of course. :-)

mysql 1263 0.0 1.6 1595128 128768 ? Ssl 08:41 0:00 /usr/sbin/
mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --user=mysql
graham 2511 0.0 1.5 2484768 123896 ? Sl 08:43 0:01 /usr/sbin/
mysqld --defaults-file=/home/graham/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --
datadir=/home/graham/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/run/user/1000/
akonadi/mysql.socket --pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid

That shows that there are two mysql instances as it should be.
One is started by akonadi and the other by the system (user mysql).
That is ok and this is how it should be.

As I thought, akonadi is using its own mysql config file and its own
datadir. This is ok.

Could send the output of this command:

mysql -u root -e "show databases; show variables where variable_name='datadir' or variable_name='socket';"

This will output all your databases and in addition, it will
output the datadir and the socket your mysql is using.
This will help us to determine that you are indeed not
using akonadi instance.

If everything is ok you would just need to enter the correct
database credentials into the bacula-dir.conf and there should
be no problems.
Instead of dbaddress you would just need to specify dbsocket.
If you don't specify dbsocket, bacula will use the default
mysql socket which might nor might not be the correct path
for your mysql instance (depending on the mysql setup).

--
Josip Deanovic