There are two levels of error here: firstly, the "Connection refused" occurs
when the client tries to connect to the Director; then that eventually
succeeds and the error message is sent back to the Director when it doesn't
expect it which leads to the "Malformed message" error.

Does the client machine have permanent access to the Director machine (via the
firewall)?  It looks to me like it might only have intermittent access, so
gets "Connection refused" for some time before it connects.

Alternatively, does "bacula-dir.lan.net" resolve to more than one address on
the client machine?  If so, maybe some of the addresses fail to connect.

Also, does "(FD 13)" and "Director (11)" mean that the client machine is
running Bacula version 13 and the Director is running Bacula version 11?  That
is not a supported configuration (it must be Director = Storage >= Client).

__Martin