On 11/25/22 04:45, Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:
The easiest way is to allow Bacula to automatically prune Jobs and Files from the Catalog. It means to have "AutoPrune = Yes" in both the Client resource and in the Pool resource.

I already had AutoPrune = yes in both the client and pool; I had found this in my searches before posting here.

All backups over the weekend failed with "need more volumes".

Now, to force the prune of volumes that have the VolumeRetention (value defined in the Pool resource) expired, the command is:

* prune volume expired yes

This command is dangerous, it will delete all jobs and files associated with any volume by comparing only the "VolumeRetention" of the volume. This value is defined in the Pool resource, but it is specific for a volume and Bacula will check the value in the "volretention" field in the Media table in the Bacula database for each volume.

This command still reports nothing to prune for all 310 volumes as of this morning, and I had run "update volume fromallpools" last week after reducing retention times; though it does now report the volumes as "Expired"

Then running the command again, it gives me some prompts about pruning files/jobs/volume/stats/snapshots/events then a client to choose.

I choose a client, it reports "Pruned Files from 6 Jobs for client" and pending backups started executing.

Then, to truncate volumes you must have the following configuration in the Pool resource:

ActionOnPurge = Truncate

Already had this present as well.

After that, you will be able to "truncate volumes in Purged status" using the following command:

* truncate volume allpools storage=File1

This command reports "No volumes found to perform the command"

So; with your help I see how to manually prune files, but this seems inelegant. The system should automatically be pruning or at least allowing me to overwrite the old data - it ought to be cyclical - use the available disk space (17T) to back up systems, letting old backups fall off automatically so that new backups can take their place.

Is needing to manually remove stale backups the intended behavior of the system, or have I done something incorrectly?