Hi Mark,
>They are not considered Baha'is by the Universal House of Justice.
However, if they define themselves as Baha'is, as a sociologist, I have to
recognize them as such.<
However, if they define themselves as Baha'is, as a sociologist, I have to
recognize them as such.<
I see what you are saying, but even within an academic context,
aren't there some limits to accepting at face value people's
descriptions of themselves? There has to be some method
for validating what people say, otherwise unnecessary bias could
be introduced into research results.
Suppose you are doing research about surgeons, and you want to
interview 100 surgeons. I don't think you would naively believe
anyone who says "I am a surgeon." You would naturally want
some evidence that the person really is what he says he is.
Tim Nolan
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[email protected] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:[email protected] Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected] New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
