Dear Khazeh,

Thank you very much for your help.  I guess I should tell you the reason why I brought up this question.  In English, the word "being" and the word "creature" are somewhat synonymous.  In fact, a being is often though of as a creature with intelligence, that is, more than a creature.

So when Baha'u'llah says:

"Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute."  (Gleanings LXXXII)

and when 'Abdu'l-Baha says:

"Universal *beings* resemble and can be compared to particular *beings*, for both are subjected to one natural system, one universal law and divine organization.  So you will find the smallest atoms in the universal system are similar to the greatest beings of the universe."  (SAQ, p. 182)

It sounds like 'Abdu'l-Baha and Baha'u'llah are talking about the same thing, creatures.  Or at least it does in English.

I guess my point is that I have a very hard time with the notion that *every* planet harbors plants and animals.  I could see how every planet harbors some kind of mineral entities, but not plants and animals, i.e. life as we understand it.

Likewise when Baha'u'llah says, in the Tablet of Hikmat that:

"...all else besides [God's] Word are but the creatures and the effects thereof.  Verily thy Lord is the Expounder, the All-Wise."

I assume that He is referring to the same kind of creature as He is in the previous quote from Gleanings.  That is, that practically everything is some sort of "creature" or at least part of one.

The problem I have been encountering is that the more I become acquainted with people knowledgeable of Persian and Arabic, the more it seems like the first quote is talking about plants and animals, and the latter two quotes are simply talking about inanimate objects.  And I find this difficult because it suggests that Baha'u'llah did indeed believe there were plants and animals on planets like Venus and Mercury.

So guidance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Matt