From: Don Calkins
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 4:05 AM
To: Baha'i Studies
Subject: Re: Beings and creatures

On 8/26/03 6:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear Khazeh,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.  I guess I should tell you the
reason why
> I brought up this question.  In English, the word "being" and the
> word "creature" are somewhat synonymous.  In fact, a being is often
though
> of as a creature with intelligence, that is, more than a creature.

I had to do some checking on this. In English, 'being' and 'creature'
had somewhat more general meanings 100 years ago than they typically
do now.

'being' was used for that which existed;
'creature' was used for that which was created.

Both were also starting to be used for living things.  'Being' for
humans and the supernatural; 'creature' for sub-human animals.

Don C

- - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://list.jccc.net/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=bahai-st
http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist (public)
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED] (public)