Mon cher Gardiens (if I may be so bold)
 
I write to welcome you to Paris. I myself only arrived last month, and was fortunate enought to be admitted to that most illustrious of regiments, the Grand Duke Max Dragoons, by the recently deceased and dearly missed Colonel Pas de Problem. Still being a novice to military matters, I believe that applications for the GDMD should now be made to the esteemed Lieutenant Colonel Chretien de Penmarch (CdP) [OOC: please will someone correct this if I am wrong? Thank you]. I fear that you might have to begin life as a private, undertaking the added burdens of regimental duties that consume so much time for the lowlier ranks. Nevertheless, service at the front (if survived!), may bring swift promotion and perhaps pecuniary benefit in the form of loot from our defeated foes.
 
Certainly fate, and the generosity of a few gracious and powerful men in Paris, has smiled upon me. Though not blessed with the good fortune of a wealthy or titled background, I am convinced that opportunities abound for simple men like you and me (I mean no offence when using this term), to make a mark upon Paris, and further the glory of France.
 
You will, I trust, understand that my own funds are severley limited, yet nevertheless, there is a (small) likelihood that I might soon receive a bequest of 100 crowns. Should the relevant will and testament be properly honoured, I will happily gift half of that amount, that is, 50 crowns to you at the beginning of the next month. Whilst not a great sum, it will go some way toward the purchase of a horse, should you apply to the GDMD. Otherwise, feel free to use the money in any way you see fit, to aid these difficult early days at the capital.
 
Vive la France!
 
Henri
 
Captain Henri Serf-Edly (HSE), Grand Duke Max Dragoons

Reply via email to