The demo given by Anand on semantic search of feeds using OpenCalais was
very interesting.
The fact that his app essentially did something that
Feedly<http://www.feedly.com/>( based on Google Reader ) does piqued
my interest.

Feedly too uses OpenCalais to get semantic information on a blog post and
for search.
If you use Google Reader as a RSS reader then you have to check out Feedly.

Anand used python-calais <http://code.google.com/p/python-calais/> for
communicating to the OpenCalais
API<http://opencalais.com/documentation/calais-web-service-api/api-invocation/rest>
.
Anand then showed how OpenCalais categorized the input text into entities,
topics and relations.
With every entity OpenCalais attached a percentage that indicated how sure
it was on the element being the entity
whose identity was given by a URL. For instance, there is a URL identiying
the entity "Android" as a product.

Open Calais is exciting new technology that has made information gathering
applications like Feedly and Klezio <http://www.klezio.com/> possible.
Another application is Tagaroo <http://tagaroo.opencalais.com/> a wordpress
plugin that automatically generates tags as you type your blog post.

In the meetup Anand said that the current state-of-the-art of semantic web
is not even 5% of its potential. A quick search of the term
imagine semantic
web<http://www.readwriteweb.com/fastsearch?search=imagine+semantic+web&x=0&y=0>on
ReadWriteWeb shows that a lot of businesses and visionaries are
betting
big on semantic web and know that
it has a lot of potential.