Jurgen Goedbloed <jurgen@...> writes:

> I had a brief look at the code for cloudfuse but it looks "interesting"
> with stdio fopen etc. I got the feeling that libdroplet looks more
> promising but who knows some people come up with better alternatives a
> search of github and sourceforge doesn't show much for old school
> programming languages.
> (Most is for Python and although we support plugins in Python that
> doesn't work  for storage plugins and its also not the way I want to
> take it now so I would opt for a native C or C++ library.)
>
> Although I'm not a developer and have very little knowledge of writing
> code, I'd be happy to help the discussion and do some testing. So, to
> start.. any comments?
Not quite the enormous discussion I had hoped to get but we are still
a starting community and restarting a dead development community is hard.

Some updates on where we are as of today.
We just pushed some commits to the nightly master branch that adds
support for 3 currently highly experimental storage backends. e.g.

- GlusterFS using gfapi.
- CEPH using librados.
- S3/Swift using a somewhat hacked version of libdroplet.

As I already said we eventually settled for libdroplet to interface
to the S3 and Swift environments. It still has some problems and we
forked it to try to fix at least the first roadblocks. We plan on
upstreaming the patches and work with the guys at Scality to make
it more robust and better usable for Bareos.

Its also still seriously experimental we did the first tests with
GFAPI and Gluster that seems to work well but we need to figure out
the obvious things like blocksize, spooling etc in combination with
these new features. For droplet I tested with the POSIX backend which
allows you to write things locally (which saves you some money not to
have to send it to Amazon etc.) We are also setup now for a free Amazon
account and we got an internal RIAK-CS S3 storage which we are doing the
first tests with to get libdroplet and droplet-sh working with it.

We also need to package some stuff so that is currently also a focus
we for Linux at least want to provide rebuild stuff for libdroplet
and droplet-sh so you can setup and test your object storage and
make sure it works before point the bareos driver at the config you
created.

If you want to give it a spin you can try it notice that its positioned
as secondary storage e.g. you should backup to disk and then do copy
or migration jobs to the cloud or directly to the cloud if you want to
live dangerously. Also be aware if you use a paying service it may not
currently do the most wanted and cost optimized way of sending the data
to the cloud. When using it with some internal cloud you should really
ask yourself when its CEPH or Gluster based if you not rather use the
native APIs. The README.md file on github gives the current status
of things which may change over the next couple of weeks.

People interested in testing CEPH storage or GFAPI can use the following
information as the first steps in setting up things. Its mostly the same
as setting up a file storage device only you set the devicetype e.g.
gfapi, rados or object and you need the right devel packages for the
apis. The archive device tells the different drivers how to behave for
gfapi that is an URI which is more or less the same as what qemu uses
for gfapi access e.g. somethings like

gluster[+transport]://[server[:port]]/volname[/dir][?socket=...]

e.g.

Device Type = gfapi
Archive Device = gluster://localhost/volname

For object storage (S3/Swift) you point to a libdroplet profile
(See https://github.com/scality/Droplet) and then a bucketname e.g.

Device Type = object
Archive Device = /home/mvw/.droplet/default.profile:<bucketname>

Keep in mind that S3 is mostly there in libdroplet, swift is somewhat
more experimental they are missing some things for storing acls and
extended attributes but given we don't use those I think it should mostly
work.

For rados (which only compiles :-)) its rados_configname:<poolname> e.g.

Device Type = rados
Archive Device = /home/mvw/rados_cfg:<poolname>

We also merged today some blocksize patches which might come in handy
in combination with this new storage backends. Things also have to
go through regressions the coming days and it seemed to work fine today
it no guarantee that in the process of making things more generic usable
we didn't break anything.

--
Marco van Wieringen                   marco.van.wierin...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG                  Phone: +49-221-63069389

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf, J. Steffens,
                 P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen