P <tiernan.peter@...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am intereseted in backing up data from S3/Swift object stores.
> are there any plans to implement File Daemon pulling from S3/Swift?

Eventually probably yes not at the current moment at least. We have
been working on the cloud storage implementation in Bareos. What works
now is the following:

- CEPH Rados storage backend
- GFAPI (Gluster) storage backend.

Hopefully soon:

- CEPHFS storage backend.

In preperation are:

- GFAPI (Gluster) file daemon plugin.
- RADOS (CEPH) file daemon plugin.
- CEPHFS (CEPH) file daemon plugin.

For next year (or earlier when we find time to get things operational)

- S3 storage backend using libdroplet. (e.g. S3/Swift/...)

Given we hope to have a set of file daemon plugins for other platforms
by then it would be an option to create a S3/Swift file daemon plugin
but as the whole S3/Swift API is not really to great an POSIX API it needs
some caching layer otherwise the write and read operations are going to
give to much costs.

For the current time your best bet is to use some S3 filesystem and
run a file daemon on that. It will probably have the same issues as
what we encountered that the match between POSIX and S3 isn't to great
but it might already do some caching to make it bearable.

There is a s3fs in python with a FUSE backend which although not great
should work depending a bit how you put your data onto S3.

On the Open Source Backup Conference (www.osbconf.org) we hope to show
the latest developments in cloud storage and backup of the cloud. That
will be in September so by then we hope to have a set of software that
is mostly tested to a point that we can include it eventually in the
next stable 14.2.1 version.

The only thing that I can say that making things ready for the other
backends (Gluster and CEPH) will mean that the file daemon will have
all the infra needed to do proper backing up from within a plugin of
some filesystem (something that is not implemented at the moment.)
Things like acl and xattr saving via the plugin interface is not possible
and more important things are missing which we are adding while doing
the development.

And some funding could speed up things but not a lot have happened until
now so then things get prioritized by the requests from customers first.

--
Marco van Wieringen                   marco.van.wierin...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG                  Phone: +49-221-63069389

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf, J. Steffens,
                 P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen