On 29.12.23 at 05:12 wrote Jason Chard:
Hey Team,
I'm new to Bareos, and the documentation either doesn't align or my brain needs to bend more to see how the design team was thinking. I've been trying for over a week to add a client. the folder structures on windows are not intuitive and seems to have director and client in multiple folders so it is hard to work out what is what and where is the actual configuration held.

I've got a windows client installed, but i don't know how to collect the secret to add it to the director. Additionally , the documentation to add a client seems to be misaligned with v23?

https://docs.bareos.org/IntroductionAndTutorial/Tutorial.html#id25
'add a client'

AddClient.jpg

A look at this image first confuses me, but later on, I think I understood, where the trouble comes from.
You have used the bconsole in the bareos-webui?
The admin user in the webui does not have the permission to run the configure command. You may have seen this in its profile ACL.

When the documentation speaks about bconsole, it means the command line bconsole, running on (Linux) shell.
Please rerun the configure command there.
Of course, it is also possible to run the configure command using the bareos-webui console interface, by changing the ACLs. However, the webui console also have other limitation, so I recommend to execute the bconsole command on a shell (as root, so it has full permission).

Regards,
Jörg

--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, Jörg Steffens, Philipp Storz