From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of David van Ooijen
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:54 AM
To: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Lute Strings for theorbo

David

I play a S&S theorbo like yours: 76/140cm, build for me in 1988.
Current set-up is 6+8. First two strings re-entrant, tuned in a.
415/440 as required with the same set of strings. I've had all sorts of
tensions over the years, but this is what it is at the moment:
All-gut, obviously.
76cm
1 = a 0.62mm
2 = e 0.78mm
3 = b 0.58mm
4 = g 0.66mm
5 = d 0.88mm
6 = A 1.16mm
140mm
7 = G 0.74mm
8 = F 0.82mm
9 = E 0.86mm
10 = D 0.97mm
11 = C 1.09mm
12 = B1 1.14mm
13 = A1 1.28mm
14 = G1 1.44mm
(Or the nearest available diameter, of course.) Strings 1 to 5 are plain gut
by any maker. 6 is a bit of a bother, but I'm reasonably happy with Aquila's
loaded gut at the moment.
Strings 7 to 14 are Gamut Diapassons, the best I've played so far, but fret
gut will do if in trouble (still better than nylgut ;-).

I used to play it with a much higher string tension, but have gone down over
the years: less punch and more resonance, less metallic sound and more
warmth.

It would be nice to have the instrument in balance: top set in a tension
that is comparable to the diapassons. If you like the tension of what you're
having on the instrument now, just replace the top seven strings. The carbon
you can measure. There are lists around (or ask this list) that translate
carbon diameters to comparable gut diameters. If you ever decide to change
to a different tension, you'll be able to reuse most of your diapassons by
moving them up a place, and just buy the missing one string. No need to
replace good diapasson, and some of these thick basses get better over time
anyway.

On a side-note. I've noticed string makers tend to advice rather high string
tensions. Better ask a player. I'm sure the string makers know best at what
tension their strings give optimum performance, but I think players tend to
give a more informed, and more varied!, answer to the question of ideal
string tension for actual playing.

enjoy your new toy!

David
--