     From: David Smith <d...@dolcesfogato.com>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Lute Strings for theorbo
     To: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Wednesday, 10 August, 2011, 18:22

      Greetings,
      I have a Barber and Harris Lesser French Theorbo with 14 strings
   (7x1
      and 7x1) with lengths of 760mm and 1400mm. The 7 diapasons are gut
   but
      the other are carbon fiber and silver wrapped. I bought the
   instrument
      used and would like to convert to all gut.
      I have looked at Arto's string calculator and am stumped as to what
      should use for the tension on the strings. The I am not sure what
   the
      current set of gut diapasons are either.
      So a couple of questions:
      1.       Should I replace all the strings in order to get the
   correct
      balance on the instrument?
      2.       What tension for the strings should I be looking for?
      3.       Is the best approach to just go to Aquila or Gamut and ask
      them to figure it out?
      I would appreciate any guidance I can get. I have read through some
   of
      the other discussions but have not come to enough understanding to
   know
      how to proceed.
      Thank you in advance.
      Regards