Dear Anthony,

I do not blame you, and I hope you didn't offense in what I wrote. As for
the "Pieces de luth" LP, I do regret that it was my first encounter with
French baroque lute music. When I first listened, I was like, wow, they had
jazz in the 17th century. It's so sophisticated, I couldn't tell triple time
from even time by listening, I was amazed by the glittering sound, amazed by
unexpected progress of harmonies, amazed by unidentifiable rhythmical
structures.

>From then on, my idea of that music was, I kinda like it, but this is so
artificial, I will never understand how it works. This music was completely
veiled before my ears because of many rubatos, arpeggios instead of broken
lines, and so on. Had I first listened to, say, Michael Schäffer, things
would have been different for me (but if and would are the fool's last
words). That first contact coined my idea of what French baroque lute music
was.

And that's why I kept my hands off from it for a long time. Like many
others, I took my way through Giesbert's method and later through Toyohiko
Satoh's. To me, the greatest composers who wrote for the baroque lute, were
Bach and Weiss, and none other compared to them. I knew there was some
French music, but it was much too tricky and way not rewarding enough as to
be worth a try. Sorry for oversimplification, but it comes close.

>    He does mention his stringing in all the booklets relating to the
>    Wengerer lute (his last two CDs), but as I made clear, he says nothing
>    about th stringing of the 12c lute (a pity). I am sorry that you didn't
>    remember it.

That's right, he doesn't say a word about his stringing in the booklet of
Old Gaultier's Nightingale.

Best,

Mathias