Dear Mathias
           Thanks for your explanations, yes I do understand your
   feelings. I have a number of friends here in Paris, who prefer to play
   Weiss (or similar) rather than French music, more or less for the
   reasons you state.
   Only the bare-bones seem to be encoded in the tablature, and a great
   depth of understanding is needed to interpret the simplest of pieces.
   Economy of composition and melodic ambiguity, seems almost
   contradictory; French classic literature shows similar economy, but
   seeks out "le mot juste" (whereas according to a recent BBC programme,
   English authors delight in ambiguity).
   I do delight in melodic ambiguity, but am far from mastering the art of
   its interpretation or grasping the "grammar" of its rhetoric.
   My first teacher, Terrence Waterhouse, before I temporarily retired
   from lute playing, was a student of Michael Schaeffer, and I heard much
   about his theoretical in-put, through him. At that time I was only
   learning renaissance lute, and there was unfortunately a long break
   before I returned to lute playing and the baroque lute.
   I am in contact with an expert in the interpretation of the French
   lute, and always amazed at how he makes a piece sing, or talk; in
   comparison my playing is completely flat, but I strive on. I love his
   playing of Weiss, but find it almost melodically indulgent (if you know
   what I mean), I must be rather a melodic puritan, I fear.
   Best wishes
   Anthony