Perhaps, Matthias, we can at least agree that later German baroque
lutenists,  were  indebted to the French lutenist's experimentation with
accords nouveaux, lute types, and "le style luthé" which so influenced even the
French harpsichordists. Their in depth research of the lute's sonorities makes
their pieces studies in sound texture (as much as in melodic structure),
tightly associated with this instrument, and  difficult to transpose. Those who
are less sensitive to texture may indeed prefer the more overtly organised
melodic  structure of a Weiss, or a de Visée.

However, there is a range in French music, from the almost speaking style (as
Arto says of Dufaut), to a more Lullian melodic style ("spiked" with
dissonance): from the disolving harmonic patterns of Mouton, through Gallot
(announcing the harmonic vocabulary of de Visée), to de Visée himself, with his
independently structured bass lines underpinning a strongly articulated melodic
superstructure. For some, Weiss might be the pinnacle of this progression; yet
both Weiss, and de Visée, proclaim their debt and admiration for Gallot: de
Visée quotes Psychée in his tombeaux du Vieux Gallot, while  Weiss' reworks
"L'Amant Malheureux", as a resounding "eulogy".

As I said in a recent SFL luth journal, in a concert in Paris, Benjamin Narvey
underlined this evolution,  and while his strong projection and singing style
undoubtedly favoured the cantabile of these two great masters*, de Visée and
Weiss, his performance of the more elusive Prelude of Mouton (through his
masterful phrasing, ornamentation and rhythm), achieved a fluidity approaching
the gestures of a baroque dancer. Nothing seemed static, even silences
suggested movement: musical flights abruptly suspended, but continued in the
mind of the listener. Dissolving harmonic patterns melted into each other, the
lute constantly ringing as new notes were struck, the resonance of the lute
itself seems the primary focus of the composition.

Each lutenist has their own sensitivity and history which makes one composer
work better for them than another. I understand you fascination,  Mathias, with
"pure" melodic structure, to which I am not immune; but it is the eloquent
gesture, elegance, fluidity and poise of French Baroque to which I feel most
drawn.

However, you are  quite right that with the loss of the musical tradition this
elusive music has become almost too difficult to interpret, even for the
simplest pieces, so rather than attempting Gallot's Psyché, I am at present
struggling with de Visée's slightly more melodically approachable  "Tombeau du
Vieux Gallot" inspired by this piece.
Unfortunately, even for this, it is not sufficient to have a historically
suitable lute and excellent stringing with good clarity and sustain, to succeed.
Regards

Anthony
*PS This is exactly the repertoire (Weiss and de Visée)that Benjamin will be
performing in Paris this coming Sunday.