Thank you nfor these precisions. I take note with satisfaction that you also
credit Vieux Gaultier with
around 50 pieces in old tuning, which is not nothing !
For the rest, I have also been playing and studying French music in a lot of
different sources and all tunings
 worldwide for over 30 years too, and I notice that the Gaultier pieces are
mostly present in manuscripts
compiled after his death on December 17th 1651, an anniversay for next week ;-)
!

Another thing that troubles me is the fact that the most widely spread version
of Tombeau de Mésangeau,
in d minor, seems very late (in style) compared with the year when Mésangeau
actually died... And almost
nobody so farhas made any mention of the very beautiful Tombeau de Mésangeau in
flat tuning which appears
in Rés. 6211 (f° 31v-32) in a different handwriting from the first part of the
manuscript which includes
a good number of pieces attributed to Vieux Gaultier, but in d minor.

Different handwriting, different period ? The second part of the manuscript
looks definitely older to me and
I would think its repertoire is older too, more related to the period following
Mesangeau's death in 1638.
Moreover, Mesangeau is usually supposed to have been Gaultier's teacher at a
time, hence his Tombeau
as a tribute to the master. But Mésangeau did not write in D minor, only vieil
ton and accords nouveaux,
and yet the tuning was around before 1638 when Bouvier's pieces in both sharp
tuning and d minor appear in
Ballard's anthology.

Then, Gaultier went back to Dauphiné as early as 1642 (when the Queen mother
died) and is not known
to have kept contacts with the lutenists in Paris who established the use of
the new "accord ordinaire".
The only contact we are told of is with Lenclos who is not known to have
written anything in the d minor tuning.
Moreover, Gaultier's reluctance to play ("pour moy, j'ay quitté tretoute cette
vilainie. - Je n'en joüerois pas pour
tous les biens du monde,") for finally accepting to play with his old friend
for what Tallemant (not always a reliable witness)
says to be 36 hours in a row. I doubt very much he did not continue to play the
instrument he had been taught to play
from a very early age (since the 1580s) and with which he had become famous at
court and elsewhere...

Far from me the desire to deprive Gaultier from his wonderful pieces in d
minor, which I love and play, but I simply want
to question the traditional presentation of Gaultier as a rather monolithic
monument of the baroque tuning, which for me
he is not ! I think his contribution was much more complex and deep than it
actually appears...

Best wishes,

Jean-Marie Poirier