Dear all,
I have a great news: IT WORKS !!
the localhost log file from Tomcat is now OK. It now can find the java files
expected in /Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/base2/org/apache/jsp/
Since then the tomcat-launchd.sdtout do not output any error message with the
"Existing PID file found during start. Existing PID file found during start"
Catalina log file looks now also fine

using "ps -e | grep Tomcat"
I can check that Catalina process is running with the right options:
-Xmx1G -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dcom.sun.media.jai.disableMediaLib=true -Djava.awt.headless=true

No more windowed application named org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap that
remain

On the Activity monitor, the java and sh processes owned by _appserver  keeps
the same PID number (which was not the case before
/Library/Tomcat/catalina_pid.txt contains the java PID number

How did I get up to that stage.
First I changed the owner of the /Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina directory: sudo
chown -R _appserver /Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina
and removed its contained directories rm -f /Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina/*

Since I did not have any /Library/Tomcat/logs/tomcat.pid file I created a link
to the catalina one: ln -s  /Library/Tomcat/catalina_pid.txt
/Library/Tomcat/logs/tomcat.pid
I then follow up Jari's idea from his script:
Using the Activity Moniteur  I killed the java process from _appserver (it
restarted a second after) and then the one from the shell also owned by
_appserver.
This one took almost a minute to restart.
I could then check that the
/Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/base2/org/apache/jsp/ was built up.

And now from the browser, I can login from the webpage localhost:8080/base2
I can do it both on the server or from an other computer

It looks like now I can go on, creating the user accounts, etc…
Hope this summery will be helpful if some one else meets similar problems

Thank you very much  to Jari and Nicklas for their patient help and deep
analyses.
I just hope not to have any other questions from now…

Cheers,
Laurent