BTW: Just to note that Saxon 11.3 has been working fine for me under Basex 9.x,
But it requires including the included xmlresolver files in the class path:

export
CLASSPATH=/usr/local/Cellar/saxon/11.3/libexec/saxon-he-11.3.jar:/usr/local/Cellar/saxon/11.3/libexec/lib/*.jar

But I haven’t done any special testing using the resolver from either Saxon or
BaseX —
Just running my current development code without noticing any problems.

( If you only include saxon-he-11.3.jar, xslt:processor() and xslt:version()
will make it appear that it’s working under BaseX, but xslt:transform() will
fail on not finding resolver classes. )

I’ve had my share of resolver issues in the past, and happily discovered that
by upgrading JDK, I could get resolver to work in some apps without any code
change, just by adding
'-Djavax.xml.catalog.files=…’ to the command line. But I spent a lot of effort
trying to get resolver to work in cases where it apparently wasn’t intended to
work ( like for XInclude’s ).
I think Norm’s replacement does try to provide a lot more functionality — I’ll
have to try intentionally using it!

— Steve M.