Nikolaus Rath <nikol...@rath.org> writes:

> On Apr 28 2015, Glyn Millington <glyn.milling...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nikolaus Rath <nikol...@rath.org> writes:
>>

>>> Well, yes, if you don't pass 'gnus to the bbdb-mua-auto-update-init
>>> function, then it won't parse any Gnus article buffers.
>>>
>>> However, I *want* bbdb3 to parse the Gnus article buffers under same
>>> conditions. I tried implemeting this conditions in a custom
>>> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p functions, but it did not work. When debugging
>>> this, I found out that even the trivial case of setting
>>> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p to nil does not prevent bbdb from parsing the
>>> gnus buffers - thus my question here.
>>>
>>> To me this looks like a bug. Am I missing something?
>>
>> Not sure!  I've pasted that chunk of your config down below to comment
>> in it.

>> So it won't automatically update but

>> It will ASK if you want to update
>
> No. According to the documentation, this is the return value for
> `bbdb-select-message`. But bbdb select message should never be called if
> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p is nil.

Now you have me intrigued!  Rummaging around in the source code for what
might invoke bbdb-select-message  I found this:

(defcustom bbdb/gnus-update-records-p
  (lambda () (let ((bbdb-update-records-p 'query))
               (bbdb-select-message)))
  "How `bbdb-mua-update-records' processes mail addresses in Gnus.
This Gnus-specific variable is normally not used.  It is a fallback
if the generic (MUA-independent) variables `bbdb-mua-auto-update-p',
`bbdb-update-records-p' or `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p' result
in a value of nil for the arg UPDATE-P of `bbdb-update-records'.

Does that explain why bbdb-select-message is being called despite
bbdb-mua-auto-update-p being nil?

Way out of my depth here!

>> That being said, I'm not clear what it is you are trying to achieve.  It
>> might help to post your custom  bbdb-mua-auto-update-p and explain what
>> you are hoping will result.
>
> Well, I really just want bbdb to stop ignoring the
> bbdb-mua-auto-update-p variable. I think that before that works, there
> is little point in setting it to a custom function and posting that
> function.
>
> That said, my eventual goal is to have bbdb automatically update
> addresses in only some Gnus groups.

Might be worth flagging that up in a new thread?

atb

Glyn