Thank you Patrick! Now I understand.
I had to search a bit, but I finally found in the manual about Perl-Style Pattern Extensions > Pattern Modifiers ..to get the (?s) bit. There is so much in everything grep! Thank goodness for real and helpful humans to supplement docs! (Even though they are really excellent docs, for a human it is still sometimes easy to miss important things.) Thanks again! :-) -G > The best way to match a multi-line `chunk of text` is: > > (?s).+? # or ((?s).+?) if you want to preserve the matched text > > where the pre-pended (?s) allows . to match line breaks, and I suggest > keeping this in the top drawer of your grep toolbox. :-) -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the "BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at <http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en> If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>
