Let me add one thing to Patrick's answer: All the functions that a Text
Factory can perform can also be performed one at a time, using the
appropriate menu command. So a good way to construct a Text Factory is to
take a representative file, play with the relevant commands (using Undo
where necessary) and figure out what operations to apply, with what
parameters, in what order. Then you can construct a Text Factory to do just
that.

Hope that's helpful.