Removed module.symvers. Make; make install. rmmod bcm43xx hung (yes I forgot to ifconfig down ;) reboot... module now works perfectly.

I am unable to see the behavior I saw before: namely ifconfig rxcount goes to 0, txcount goes low, radio off, radio on, rxcount+, txcount+++, dhcp works, give it a second, down again. repeats.

Right now what I'm seeing is a perfectly working system. I have moved different APs within the same ESSID (WEP enabled) and no problems are evident. I'm getting TCP throughput of 7Mbps (on my Comcast 6Mbps link) and I haven't configured any in-LAN testing facilities (yet. The night is young.)

Ehud
PS I know that newbies get the respect of somewhere between Peter who cried Wolf and zero. I swear it really (repeatedly) didn't work, and now with that one (insignificant...) change it works perfectly. The reboot is not a factor as I'd done three on the old system. (Golden Nugget. Overnight. McCarran. Home.)