On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:25:33 +0200
Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> wrote:

> Chris Vine wrote:
> > > The problem is not with b43, but with ACPI. The debugging will
> > > need to be done by that set of devs.
> >
> > OK.  I may try blacklisting different ACPI modules and see if I can
> > identify which one is causing the problem.
>
> I'd suggest to go directly to the ACPI mailing list, do not pass go.
> :) They will want you to do more, and other, testing in order to
> track down the problem.

I will probably do that (maybe), but nonetheless I have identified the
offending ACPI module.  If I blacklist the 'processor' module then b43
works.  I strongly suspect that kernel ACPI does not at present deal
correctly with Atom N270 idle states.

As a side note, with kernel 2.6.32 the 'thermal' module is not dependent
(so far as loading is concerned) on the 'processor' module and is not
troublesome, although I am not certain it actually does anything (cpu
temperatures and operation of the fan seems to be controlled by the
BIOS on my machine): nonetheless I install 'thermal' out of
superstition.

Anyway, that appears to be a temporary fix until any ACPI bugs are
sorted out.

Chris