> >I haven't seen much in the way of responses to my request for advice
> >in using BD techniques or procedures in starting grape cuttings.
> >
> >Monte

Hi! Monte,
I am sorry no one has helped out.
My family has been grape growers (as we call them) for over a hundred
years. But none are yet BD. Our cuttings are taken in the autumn. Three
buds long, with a square cut at the base and an angle at the top, to
tell
which way up to plant them as they will not shoot up side down. Cut
close
to the bud to avoid "dead stick" which will let disease start. They will
be planted with one bud below the ground and two above. We tie them in
bundles, all the same way up and "heel them in", place the bottom bud
below ground level for the winter. Early spring they are planted in
position, taking care as they may have small roots. We take care to use
very sharp, clean secateurs to cut them and dip the secateurs in bleach
every now
and a gain, to avoid fungi.

I would see the BD being used to prepare and care for the soil, more
than
direct use on the cuttings. Personally, I would start at least two years
before planting, with a full BD routine, cover crops and green manure's
to get the soil and soil biota really firing.

Above is the way my family works, but many grower these days store the
cuttings in bundles under water, commonly in the swimming pool and then
plant into a nursery for a year, then plant the advanced vines, having
root pruned and toped them. I do not like this way, but a lot do it.

Gil