Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 11:53 AM
Subject: New thread:- enlightened incorporated features of new house?

Hi! Manfred,
I was going to answer off list, but this may be of interest to others. If not you know where the delete button is.

My house is symbolic as much as shelter, which annoys the crap out of my wife as she would like to live in it. It has been nearly finished for five years and I keep getting side tracked. (I will save the list the boredom of my dalliances).

We have had the land for coming up twenty six years. It was a dream property that took ten years to change to our ownership.

We have been down most paths of different construction methodologies. I also had fourteen years in the construction industry, so came to it with a good general background.

We have designed dozens of houses for the land, even having had several redrawn by architects and approved by Council.

Our big problem was that we though we needed much more house than practical. Several would have been unmanageable without staff. When we looked critically at the different homes we lived in, we found we actually only lived in part of them.

We found that house design was the worst part of our relationship. When Fran was living away for six months, I designed the house and we communicated by Fax and finally got a plan we could afford and still have room to live in. We had it built to lock up by the company I once worked for and we set out to finnish it our self. All went well until nearly the finish of the job and my health went down hill and I ran out of money. So we are paying rent and the house is still nearly finished.

The design features of interest are:-

* It is Solar Passive, but not oriented the right way. This because, to the east is a multi million dollar view. (I joke not - based on nearby land sales, the site is worth around the two million mark.) We are on the break of the range, just back from the coast on Port Lincoln Harbour and overlook the Spencer Gulf and the many Islands and bays. To correct this we have positioned another build to the west and parallel. We will bridge between the two and this will have a glass house on the north (sun side - we in the southern hemisphere), and shade house in the south for full passive solar.

* We built on concrete stumps with a suspended timber supported floor with 21 mm spandeck floor, with 12 mm slate on top. Slate right through except bath and toilet.

* Walls stud, Gyprock (plaster board) inside, Hardifex (cement sheet) outside.

* Roof colourbond.

* All walls and ceiling heavily insulated. (one a half times recommended for local conditions) Walls also have vapour barrier.

* Frame and windows are cyclone grade, as is the studs, strapping and tie downs. This is partly as we are on the wind shear at the top of the range and choose to live there, so must build to suit.

* The wiring is designed to not make coils or circuits. Example there are two lighting runs and two power runs, one around each part of the house, terminating in each of the two bedrooms, so no passing power. There is another power run to the fridges. Also three 12 V DC, for small appliances and some lighting. All wiring runs are in the ceiling, with drop downs to power points and switches,  no horizontal wiring. Low energy lights run off custom built inverters from 12 V DC, so do not use 240, so much less trouble. Also use only about one third of actual power.

* Heating is from a Bosky Wood stove, which gives cooking, hot water (with solar panels) and heating via water radiators in each room.

* Toilet is a waterless composting from Clivus Multrum - saves ten thousand gallons per year per person of each water to flush and black water to be processed.

* A "cool cupboard" as per David Holmgrem, will reduce refrigeration needs and we will try just a bar fridge and leave the freezer in town with relatives, until we get a bigger power supply. We will also have a cellar. We have turned to dry a lot of things we used to bottle or freeze, this reduces energy needs and storage a great deal. We are also aiming to eat as much as possible that which is in season. Thus instead of storing a lot of food, we hope to largely produce as required, which in our clement climate is possible. We know people who actually do it.

* Window size and position and over hangs are intended for   energy efficiency. Colours are also to this end, including white walls and ceilings for maximum light use, while outside colours are designed to blend in and not heat the building in summer.

* Established tree plantings shelter from the bad winds, but allow the cooling sea breeze.

* Twenty thousand gallons of rain water supply the house. Dam water for all else.

* Fire wood is all hard wood from the property.

* We produce our own meat, some fruit, some veg, mushrooms, some nuts, but more once we are actually living there.

  • With strawbale, some bamboo and some timbers have tensile strength that can replace steel. In South America there are five story buildings with bamboo reinforcing. I think one could use "wattle and dorb" with small sticks or splits to plaster to, instead of chicken wire. Good footings can be made with granite and concrete in a trench and Earth floors are OK, I have lived with them.

I assume you are in the US. We have a lot of published material on these things here, that I think is more up to date that that offered over there. Some Australian material is on the Acres USA list. But could post Oz addresses if required.

Gil

Manfred Palmer wrote:

Gil:
If you have time, would you describe in detail some more enlightened
incorporated features of your new house?