From: Alberto Machado
         Sorry for my intromission , Brix , mesures all solids that are
> soluble on the plant not only the sugars , including minerals, protein ,
> these with  the higher sugar give a sweeter tasting if soil is in god
> conditions , crops with higher Brix produce more alcool for the
micobiology
> ,  tastes better , are more insects resistant, and better shelf life. But
in
> grass witch I work is hard to extract the liquid sample, normaly you use
the
> intermidiate leaf of the pant.

Hi Alberto
                 Thanks for your contribution on brix - do not worry about
your spelling you bring us good information - keep up the good work.
We use the refractometer a lot and if you are having trouble getting a sap
sample from grass plants I use a pair of modified vice grip pliers that work
really well. If you like to send me a fax number offlist then I can fax you
the drawing of these pliers and you could make a pair. (or have some made)
They dont cost much to make and really do work.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles