> There's a guy down the road from me who sells "organic" vegetables to
> people.  He makes his compost by mixing urea and sawdust together and
> leaving it for 3 weeks, then puts it on the plants.  He told me he
> doesn't use any pesticides or chemicals - "only a bit of roundup at
> the start, of course".

Hello Graeme
                    If this guy is only using a bit of roundup at the start
he's a mile in front of his commercial chemical counterparts, and if he
really manages to produce his vegetable crops without any in crop
pesticides, he is doing a lot of things right!
What does his stuff taste like?
And most importantly does he tell the truth when he sells his produce? If he
does then I'd suggest he's not much of a problem.
Organic certification tells the consumer that there is less toxic chemical
present in the food but it says nothing (or very little)about the
nutritional quality, and until consumers wake up and start to buy on taste
rather than appearance nothing much will change.

> His clients are just as poorly informed - either they don't know or
> simply don't ask about his practices.
> What do you do about such situations?  I don't know.
Certification cant fix this - only quality testing by the end consumer - if
your neighbor's produce looks good, tastes great, and is grown without
chemicals in crop he is most of the way home and his consumers will figure
it out, If it is rubbish and tastes like cardboard and he tells lies then
they will probably figure that out too.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles