On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:33:36 AM UTC-4, Anguel wrote:

>> The concept here is the people that buy them, know how Linux works and
>> can get things going themselves and make what ever tweaks are
>> required. Supporting all the different kernel versions and distributions,
>> that is no feasible.
>>

> Probably this is the nice business concept used by TI, CircuitCo, etc.
> Sell chips and boards, make money, but let the open source community write
> the software and support everything for free. Just make a product, label it
> to be "for developers" and sell it without any support.

There is a difference between "any support" and "not supported".

"Not supported" means that it has been tested under a very specific
software configuration and works for that configuration.  If you check the
Linux Source code, you will find a LOT of code written by Texas Instruments
- so they are certainly providing SOME support.

Interestingly, if you check the LCD drivers you will find that for small
LCD screens, most of those drivers come from Nokia[or at the very least are
based off Nokia drivers].

So no, it is not "the community" that is expected to support things "for
free".  How it works is that Nokia, a cell phone manufacturer, decides to
use a Texas Instruments processor in a cell phone.  They decide to use a
specific model of LCD screen.   They pay developers to create an LCD driver
for a Texas Instruments supported linux kernel.  If they find a bug in the
TI LCD interface, they contact TI and TI works with them to fix it.  Once
they have the TI supported kernel working, they then try to use the same
driver in the latest version of Android.  If it doesn't work, their
developers have to figure out what changes were made that broke something,
and then they fix it.  Considering that their going to order 100,000+ TI
processors, they probably pay TI for support so their developers and TI's
developers work on the driver.

When that is all done, this driver which was written by Nokia with Texas
Instruments help is then given to "the community" for free - under the
terms of the standard GPL license, including:
"THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY
APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY
OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM
IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, *YOU ASSUME THE COST OF
ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION*."

Please note that last line as it is the one you seem to object to, and yet
it is the very reason companies are willing to give away applications they
paid developers to write to the community - as they are not required to
support them and you agreed to assume the cost.

Android does NOT use the X11 window system, so the driver written by Nokia
for their phone may not work properly for a Ubuntu desktop.  As the reason
Nokia paid developers to write it was for an android phone, I can't see any
reason to expect them to make sure it works for Ubuntu "for free".

Your receiving a huge amount of support from TI and CitcuitCo - however
your "tone of voice" is demanding that they FIX the problem.  They are not
required to fix the problem, and you agreed to assume the cost of all
correction.  In all fairness, they should be billing you for the time spent
responding to you as you agreed to "assume the cost".

You have identified a problem.  Programmers from "the community", "Texas
Instruments", and "CircuitCo" have acknowledged the problem, done a good
bit of deductive reasoning to determine where the problem lies and the
general idea of how to fix it and given this information to you for free.

There are four solutions specifically for you:

A) Use the linux versions that are known to work for the device, move on
with your life.

B) Wait for someone to be willing to fix it "for free"

C) Fix it "yourself" - note this does not mean you personally, this means
either you fix it or hire someone to fix it.

D) Give up in frustration and use a different product.  If you wish, loudly
proclaim that "everything just works out of the box".  A few weeks down the
road you will discover a different problem with the interaction of a
completely different set of drivers that the vendor of that product doesn't
use and does not support.  When you do, if you choose to loudly proclaim
your "solution" you can choose to acknowledge that your solution that "just
worked" actually does not work so others who may be misled by your comments
to also switch don't suffer the same issue.  Or you can keep quiet about it
to avoid looking foolish and thus cause economic harm to others.

As a summary "not supported" means that the company is not required to pay
engineers to fix problems you discover.

As for making money, my understanding is that the Beagle Board line of
products makes enough money to just about break even.  Ie the little money
made per board is used to pay for TI engineers time in answering questions
and designing the next board.   From a corporate standpoint, the point is
not to "make money" selling BeagleBoards - but rather to provide thousands
of smart people with a system that they can use create nifty tools.  Out of
the hundreds of nifty tools created, a few of them will have broad
commercial potential.  Some of those will get enough financial backing to
have thousands of them made by a company and offered for sale.  Maybe half
of those commercial products will use the same processor as used on the
BeagleBoard since all the code was written for it.  The other half may well
use a completely different chip from a different manufacturer which has a
high enough price difference to justify rewriting programs.  The processor
won't be as powerful, but it will do the job.

So TI's money comes from those few products that make it to being sold
commercially and still use the same processor.  This is certainly a
successful business - there is a symbiotic relationship between "the
community" getting free software from TI and TI getting improvements from
"the community" for specific use cases.