Dave, I might be able to shed some more light on this, unless you are
completely set on making your own cape (Which is a lot of fun BTW :)
I am also biased since I have made the Replicape, but I'll try to be
objective and summarize the differences as I see them:

Replicape - BeBoPr++
5 steppers - 4 steppers
Stepper current programmable by ADC - stepper current adjustable with a
trim-pot.
Microstepping programmable via SPI down to 1/32 nd  - Microstepping with
dip switches down to 1/8 th (?)
Stackable for LCD3/Reach or similar - Not stackable, but can use the
HDMI/I2C for display.
Low pass filter in analog input - Voltage clams on analog inputs
No over-voltage protection on end-stops  - ?
Open source Hardware, software and firmware - Open source software (?)
$179 - $120 (is this right for the ++ board?)  + four stepper boards ($10
each?)