On Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:56:05 AM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> The wicd deamon should setup eth0 within 30 seconds on 2nd boot.
> (first boot there is a slight delay as the ssh key's are generated).

I had rebooted many times. I hadn't paid any attention to the wicd program
since it seemed to be for WIFI which I am not using.

I had to open the preferences and check the option to always show wired
interfaces (I also checked always switch to wired connection when
available) before I saw the eth0 connection. I then clicked the connect
button and waited until it finished. It still didn't connect, but after I
rebooted again, it did connect using dhcp. Since then it has been
connecting on each boot.

> If you uncomment out the eth0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces
> boot time falls from 15seconds to 35ish..

I'm not sure what you mean by this. "unccomment out" is ambiguous. Did you
mean "uncomment", or did you mean "comment out".

Is it faster to boot with the eth0 defined in /etc/network/interfaces, or
is it faster with the eth0 section commented out? Why? Is it redundant to
define eth0 here, and then have wicd also connect eth0; or does having
defined in the interafces file cause wicd to skip its redundant setup later?

On an unrelated issue, how do you setup the timezone for the time display
on the LXDE desktop? I have set /etc/timezone. I have also used tzselect
and added the TZ environment variable to my .profile as suggested in the
output of tzselect. It does not appear that my .profile file is being
executed though. I have a user bin directory in my /home/debian directory,
and it is not being added to the path as it seems it should be by reading
the .profile file. I checked and I don't have a .bash_profile or
.bash_login file which would prevent .profile from executing. Any ideas?

Dennis Cote