> but you can't run the clock much faster than 1 KHz using a user-space
program under Linux.

Not true at all! You can get over 3MHz just fine with mmap to the gpio
registers. If you try to open and close a file each gpio toggle, like the
insanely inefficient sysfs interface, then yeah...you'll be severely
limited, but still much faster than 1kHz.

Did you google? http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/t/296484.aspx