Thanks for the suggestions. I reflashed the eMMC today with a very recent
version of Debian (12/19). This version appears to be reasonably stable.
But after rebooting and trying your suggestion, Ethernet was still not
available. I even tried booting without an Ethernet cable installed and
then plugged it in. Nothing. But what I do see now is the green LED
flashing quite a bit. So there is something going on but I never seen any
flashing from the Orange/Yellow LED.  I can connect to a static IP address
but can't seem to get any bi-directional communication. I open a browser
and try to go to a website but all I can see is the "Resolving host"
message in the browser telling me that something is not just right. After
trying to use Putty with no success, my guess is that the BBB is not
getting any incoming packets at all.

I'm open to other suggestions. I want to use the BBB for ADS-B receiving
with an RTL-SDR. I can use a wireless dongle if I have to.

Thanks.
John