Alex,

This is very interesting; in your case, the debug connection did not make any
difference. Assuming there is a difference on the TTL connection, can you try
(c), with patch between GPIO and debug port. In my case, with this patch, I do
not see any ethernet failure.

P9 1 (GND) to J1 (serial GND)
P9 3 (VDD_V3V) to J4 (serial RXD)
P9 4 (VDD_V3V) to J5 (serial TXD)

Without debug port connection, I just run ping from terminal continuously; the
successful response shows Ethernet come up after power cycle.

These were discussion on the TI e2e forum, this seems to be the same issue we
have here
Phy Address Issue beaglebone U-boot - Sitara Processors Forum - Sitaraâ„¢
Processors - TI E2E Community
<http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/t/366351>

Regards

KeOu