So a bit more information. Here is the device tree overlay i've loaded

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
    compatible = "ti,beaglebone", "ti,beaglebone-black";

    /* identification */
    part-number = "pruss_enable";
    version = "00A0";

     fragment@0 {
             target = <&pruss>;
           __overlay__ {
                      status = "okay";

                   };
        };

};

So, the target is &pruss. Looking in the am335x-boneblack.dts file there is
no mention of &pruss. But this file does have two includes at the top.

#include "am33xx.dtsi"
#include "am335x-bone-common.dtsi"

Searching through am33xx.dtsi for "pruss" turns up this fragment.

pruss: pruss@4a300000 {
            compatible = "ti,pruss-v2";
            ti,hwmods = "pruss";
            ti,deassert-hard-reset = "pruss", "pruss";
            reg = <0x4a300000 0x080000>;
            ti,pintc-offset = <0x20000>;
            interrupt-parent = <&intc>;
            status = "disabled";
            interrupts = <20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27>;
        };

So, I believe you have a couple options. First, you can create an overlay
like file, and #include it in am335x-boneblack.dts. IN order to do this you
will need to copy your current dtbo file, decompile it,  edit the file, etc
,etc, then recompile the file. Back up, and move the old
am335x-boneblack.dts file out of the way. Replace with your newly compiled
file. The second option is pretty much the same thing, but your change the
am335x-boneblack.dtbo file directly.

Anyway, there is actually a third option. Get rid of that 3.14.x kernel,
and use a 4.x kernel . . . a kernel that can actually use cape manager.