> *This kind of thing can not be unique, because I note that there are
> Ethernet controlled power strips with "Auto-Ping."*

*Stated feature is “Auto-Ping” feature to intelligently reboot a locked-up
AP, router, VoIP phone, server, camera. or other device automatically.*

This isn't unique to the Beaglebones. We get close strikes here all the
time during the summer, and in fact decapped a realtech ethernet bridge
chip in a PoE switch last year . . . But my personal equipment gets reset
all the time from static discharges from close strike several times a year.
Mostly it's just a GbE switch I have in my bedroom, but other devices get
messes up from time to time as well. Once or twice our PoE WDS routers have
too . . .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqTdBG2XVL52pvECedfZvLEjtwv5KE0GovH4E6LP9z2mw%40mail.gmail.com.