William:

That would work.

The only "edge case" I might see as a problem would be if your ping target
went off line.  Then the BBB would reboot itself every ten minutes even
though nothing was wrong with the BBB.  I guess you could ping several
different targets in rotation and only reboot if they all disappeared.
This gets us back to a real cheap local watchdog.

As an aside: Does anyone know what test a computer runs to determine if it
is connected to the internet?
Most desktop/laptop computers have a different network icon as to whether
the network/WiFi you connected to has internet connectivity.   Is the
Windows computer pinging some Microsoft location that is "guaranteed" to be
up?

--- Graham

==

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:30 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Graham,
>
> What I propose is that you do not need an Ethernet Micro connected to the
> BBB. Instead, you have the BBB ping the outside world once every set time
> frame, and it a ping comes back unreachable after say 5-10 minutes. You
> just stop "kicking the dog". Which does present a potential problem that
> Your internet connection may just be down. But a remote system that reboots
> once every 5-10 minutes because the internet connection is down is not
> something I'd personally see as a bad thing. After all you're unable to
> connect to the system anyway.

 ==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CANN_KV6MEtkBkkjA-xc3KKzeNRh6LDpoB1xrBnN%2BZo6gJgLX6w%40mail.gmail.com.