> *The need to ping an Internet host just adds to the requirements.  Pinging
> your local router IP would meet the requirement of whether the BBB
> interface is up.  Adding Internet connectivity just added more complexity.*

Come now do I really have to comment on something like this ? The solution
is pretty obvious . . .

If your application does not require an internet connection, then don't
ping an outside address. Ping your internal gateway . . .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpXxmBek%3DY21CNBNQCaCp7UgbBh0WnyRXSqUqrnsU7MWw%40mail.gmail.com.