It may not be out door's.. the electronics/computer's may be inside near a
heat source,
I having seen electronics covered up by the end user's many times. (how
many routers have you seen under
a pile of books..  clothing ? ..etc ) then there is fan's breaking,  air
ventilation hole's fill with dust, cat hair etc.
it's not just out door's  which may provide and nasty environment.
The second problem is super cap's have high internal resistance, which
limit's how much current you can pull
from them.  Problem there is problem is how much of the capacity of the
super cap are you using ?
a 5V super cap backing up power to a 5v to 3.3v  switching reg,  or liner
reg may only give you 4.3 volts before
the reg start's dropping the 3.3v power rail.   So there may be only 0.7V
of the super capacity you are using.
And to get around that, you need a SEPIC switching reg, and of course your
drawing big currents once you start drooping to 1 or 2 volts of the super
cap.  So the cost of having a Electro  running at 40 or 50V,  where you will
get almost all of it's capacity is not a bad trade off, when you see that
you will have even bigger problem with supper caps and extracting there
full capacity.   And you will be switch much higher currents to get your
3.3V's from it.

Lachlan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAMkt-MvJMz8Ab_xjC6uXnGWw6maqfEWMYFbJAzO73p0msAxCnQ%40mail.gmail.com.