Ug, I keep thinking of stuff *after* I post, heh.

SO as an experiment there would be nothing wrong with using a beaglebone,
or beagleboard for this purpose. However, if you're unfamiliar with Linux,
and writing code for such. It could be beneficial to just start off with
something else. Such as a USB capable PIC32, or any number of Cortex
M0/M0+, M3/M4 dev boards on the market.

I think TI even has a recent board based on their TM4C(Cortex M4 )
processors that is meant to be a USB dev board.

But the point is, if you're going to start off knowing nothing of what you
need to learn, etc. You may as well start off with a "bare metal" type
device. Cost, and complexity wise you're life will be a lot simpler. With
the trade-off that you'll have to get your hands dirty writing low level
code( at the register level ).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORp7hGp%3DFsGEUgT_jCrV%2BKrC2YrFbG00soyWk8vhxciNAQ%40mail.gmail.com.