On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Bouni <bo...@owee.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> indeed i want to go for Modbus TCP, but unfortunately my ventilation
> system has only Modbus RTU. The BB will act as a Gateway between Modbus TCP
> and Serial Modbus RTU.

Does your ventilation system output Modbus over RS485, or is there pure
CANBUS output ? What I was proposing, in the case of the later situation.
Was to capture the CANBUS output, and directly send that data out over the
ethernet port. There are several ways this can be done, and really depends
on your programming experience level.

What I did for our case was "decode" the J1939 / Fastpacket 2000 PGN's in
real time. Then parse the data out to an intermediary file. Using POSIX
shared memory. Where the second half of the application, took that data,
and sent it out via a web app / web socket. All this was done directly on
the Beaglebone, in real-time, at 1Mbit frame rate. The application also
only used around 1% CPU. Both sides. Anyway, I used the socketCAN library
to do all this,

Another way you could save this data, if you do not need to communicate
data back to your ventilation system. Would be to use the socketCAN candump
utility. To dump( pipe ) the CANBUS packets directly into Netcat, and then
out to a remote system for later parsing . . . The remote system would also
have to be running Linux too in this case. As I believe that there is a
netcat binary for Windows, but I think this would not be a very smart move.

However, if your output is Modbus RTU *only*. I'm not very familiar with
Modbus, and what your options are. Except, as I recall there is a Linux
Modbus development framework of some sort.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORobdkiD3ndpLEeczS-FZic-W0Nut73%2B4UQoU5ggwSZEiA%40mail.gmail.com.