Pretty confident it's not kernel version. Actually explored that line of
thinking a little, but there's a u-boot spi tool you can use to test before
the kernel even loads, and you can replicate this issue with that.

FYI response from Seeed regarding the existence of the caps is that they're
for EMC related to the UART on the Grove connector.

This is the location of the spi0 capacitors (Should only need to remove the
one on clock, but I removed both, forget which one is which).  Near the sd
card slot, underneath the grove connectors:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uE8y1zCNuvY/WEGpUUGI9_I/AAAAAAAAAhs/UtQrknyZH3ExCItVhhWf_-_sveyWlE1fACLcB/s1600/BBGW.jpg>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/82c331b9-3507-4acb-b61c-bdf54857d264%40googlegroups.com.