Thanks for following up.

I've been using the tieqep module to read absolute position count of a
rotary encoder knob.  I'm curious what other use cases people have for eQEP?

The reason I ask is I think a new driver needs to be written and it would
be good to know which features of the eQEP peripheral should be implemented.

The existing tieqep driver is out of tree and seems unlikely to be included
in the mainline Linux kernel.  We are able to use it on BeagleBone because
Robert includes it as a patch in his kernel builds.

The IIO subsystem now has infrastructure for encoders.  I am thinking that
an IIO driver should be written for eQEP with the goal of being merged into
the mainline kernel.

Thoughts?

-Drew