I've wondered that too, but haven't yet switched them; I wanted to first
confirm that the software really should be that simple.
I'm probing the GPS signal at the uBlox board itself, definitely the wire
silkscreened "Tx": I'm getting a signal there. Not likely my spliced
connector leads are shorted: they're soldered and wrapped. On the BBBlue,
that wire is connected to the 4th pin from the silkscreened dot (which I
assume is the Pin1 connector end, furthest from the USB end of the board)
corresponding to UART2_Tx on the GPS connector in the schematic.  The fact
that the uBlox is powered-up suggests my assumptions about the pin
numbering are correct. I had dismissed the thought that these might need to
be wired Tx/Rx cross-over, but suddenly I'm less sure of that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4360dde0-5690-45fd-8806-1ec7e03fb6f0%40googlegroups.com.